Tuesday, July 29, 2014

It's the pretty things that we're always breaking

My brother once said I was an actress and meant it in an absolutely unflattering way. I was acting and I was manipulating and pretending it was survival. But the thing about it was that I just didn't like myself at all. Everything I did was a costume change. I was trying on different personalities to see which got the best results or a better reaction.

There's this all consuming self loathing that comes with being female. This tendency to shy away and commodify yourself so that people accept you. There's a prototype for womanhood and it's soft and silent and still. I was never right for that part. The thing about women is that they're people. Multifaceted, ridiculous, complex entities that are not this one thing you are shown in the media.

I made a reference to one of my best friends the other day about how she wanted to be this woman on tv. Her response was that she wanted the Chanel and the Louboutins, but she absolutely wants to be herself. Why shouldn't she? This friend of mine is a whip smart, funny as hell, stone cold fox.


My friends are absolutely fashion icons. No photos needed to prove that point. 












1 comment: